Five things I encountered today that were interesting, educational, beautiful, edifying or that I otherwise found to be…well, good. None of these are promotions and I do not receive any benefit from sharing them. I just like them.
I am in denial about it being the first of December. Partially because I’m still in denial about it being 2015, much less nearly 2016. But there’s no denying the holiday season is in full swing now. May your December be merry and bright… or at least a booze and sugar-fueled approximation thereof.
1) SyFy has posted the first episode of their upcoming science ficton series set in actual space, for free online. The Expanse is set in the future, when the Asteroid Belt has been colonized and an investigation into the mysterious disappearance of a young heiress sets off a series of events that will “change humanity”. I have not watched this yet, but it’s great they’ve posted it for free, the trailer looks good and it’s nice to see a hard sci-fi show making a debut on the once-eponymous channel. Let me know what you think!
2) Yes, the season of gift guides is upon us! I actually kind of love them, if they’re the right kind of guide. Nerdist gets us started with a round up of gifts for Star Wars fans. The Princess Leia/David Bowie Rebels t-shirt is my favorite, hands down.
3) Over the holiday weekend I hunkered down and re-read Tamora Pierce’s Song of the Lioness series, one of my favorite young adult fantasy series from when I was a kid. Alanna, our heroine, disguises herself as boy in order to become a knight and proceeds to have many magical and sword-fighting adventures. Although there’s a love triangle, Alanna displays way more agency, feminism, and personality than most of our current YA heroine crop. Also, she’s allowed to have sex for fun without getting married first, which is never allowed these days for teen fantasy heroines.
4) Supergirl is on a roll! CBS has ordered 7 additional episodes of the comic book series, bringing it up to 20 for a full season. I actually prefer fewer episodes per season, but I’m happy the show is getting the attention and promotion it deserves. The Mary Sue has a great exploration of Supergirl’s maternal narrative and why that’s so rare on TV or anywhere else.
5) File this under: Only in Utah. My state is weird. One example of this is the weird war between “dirty” soda shops, which make neither soda-based cocktails nor offer porn with your fizzy drink. They just make sodas with gourmet flavorings or non-alcoholic mixers added in that have naughty sounding names so that non-booze drinkers can feel like they are joining in the fun without actual violating any LDS tenets. This phenomenon and the tension between the shops has escalated so much that the NY Times took notice.