Five things I encountered today that were interesting, educational, beautiful, edifying or that I otherwise found to be…well, good. None of these are promotions and I do not receive any benefit from sharing them. I just like them.
Today is grey, rainy, cold, and slow at my job. It’s too early to start the weekend but I’m so over this work week. I’m really feeling Arthur Dent’s famous sentiment. Thankfully, I’ve got some great diversions to get us through this one.
1) Okay, this is local news but I’m still excited and I think it’s relevant nationally. It looks like Salt Lake City has elected a new mayor, Jackie Biskupski, who is only the second woman to hold the position, and the first openly gay (and first single mother) mayor in our city’s history. Those of you who haven’t spent much time in SLC are probably shocked by this, but despite the often rightfully deserved conservative and bigoted reputation of the state of Utah, SLC actually is very welcoming to the LGBT community. And while I’m excited Jackie is making history here, outsiders will also be surprised to learn how little of a deal her orientation was in the campaign. I think that’s the best part of all – we didn’t elect a lesbian mayor, we elected a mayor who just happens to be a lesbian.
2) I feel totally vindicated by this Aeon Magazine article about how the indecisive often make better decisions that those who choose immediately. I’m notoriously indecisive and I always want more data to be sure I’m picking The Best Thing, whether it’s an entree or an apartment. The few times I have made a spur-of-the-moment decision on a big purchase (my last car and my last computer) I regretted it. So stop getting annoyed with me at restaurants, already!
3) Tonight I’m having some friends over to watch Inside Out, and I’m going to be making this amazing roast duck with green peppercorns. Assuming I can find green peppercorns, which is really the primary challenge of this recipe. Usually I making Peking duck, but it’s nice to mix it up sometimes – this one gets a good crispy skin too!
4) It’s freezing out this morning. Okay, not literally, but somehow I always feel colder when it’s raining and 40ish than when it’s actually below freezing. Good thing my best friend sent me some new tea in the mail. Teavana’s Youthberry White Tea is sweet, fruity, and delicate. Now, it does have sugar in it because it contains candied fruit, so you don’t need to add any – it’s sweet on its own. As a botanist I feel duty-bound to point out that “Youthberry” is a made-up term Teavana invented to market this particular blend of fruit and flavoring (there is an actual plant used for medicinal Chinese tea that goes by that name, but it ain’t in here). However, it is still a yummy flavored tea and great to blend with stronger, darker tea, like English breakfast.
5) New Force Awakens character posters! Leia looks perfect. I’m not sure why everyone’s right eye needs to be covered, but whatevs. Posters!
— Carrie Fisher (@carrieffisher) November 4, 2015