Five things I encountered today that were interesting, educational, beautiful, edifying or that I otherwise found to be…well, g, ood. None of these are promotions and I do not receive any benefit from sharing them. I just like them.
Since today’s the last (week) day of October, I give you the All-Halloweeny Good Things Post!
1) No Halloween season would be complete without being made to feel inadequate in your Jack O’ Lantern carving skills. Here are some of the most impressive carved pumpkins ever. Weep at what you will never achieve while the crude face of your own deformed pumpkin mocks you from the shadows.
2) For some reason, I find a good, creepy radio play a much more effective scare than move movies, particularly when listened to in the dark, preferably outside by a campfire. This is the perfect weekend to binge all the episodes of the first season of The Black Tapes Podcast, which combines a This American Life-like set up with a mystery and some truly chilling intertwining tales.
3) Pets should have fun on Halloween too! By which I mean, we should have fun dressing them up while they tolerate it because we provide all their food and shelter. Buzzfeed has a great round-up of epic pet costumes and the pets who survived them and probably didn’t later eat their owners’ faces off in revenge.
4) I like my Halloween cocktails black and bubbling. Mr. Hyde’s Potion certainly looks like could do the job to change someone into a killer. It packs a kick and looks really cool. But don’t let your guests overdo it… if it comes back up on them, it will not come out of the carpet.
5) Want some scary Halloween reading from the depths of the internet? Check out Creepypasta.com, the definitive compendium of the freakiest results of internet groupthink and early viral sharing. Some them are just bad and funny and some will definitely keep you awake at night.