Five things I encountered today that were interesting, educational, beautiful, edifying or that I otherwise found to be…well, good. None of these are promotions and I do not receive any benefit from sharing them. I just like them.
1) This is a great video where cosplayers talk about catcalling and harassment at conventions. I wish they had spoken to more men, because it’s not just a problem for women, but I’m glad they at least included one guy at the end there. Remember, cosplay is not consent. The only time you should be hollering at cosplayer is to tell them respectfully that you like their costume or to ask for a picture. And then only if it’s really loud at the con, otherwise just use a normal tone of voice.
2) Naps. The verdict is in, naps are good. As someone with a highly disrupted sleep pattern, without naps I would probably just been a constant, REM-deprived hallucinatory state. Still not convinced that naps rock? Here’s a list of super-smart folks who swore by them. Now, go take a nap!
3) Io9’s list of ten audiobooks that are worth it just for the voice performances just added majorly to my to-listen list. They probably could have done a whole article just on books read by Tom Hiddleston – I’d had no idea he’d read so many. I often fall asleep listening to an audiobook so this list (and Tom’s dulcet tones) will ensure I have the sweetest of dreams.
4) I love seasonal cocktails and pears are their peak right now. I’m not talking about a store-bought pear that goes from hard to mealy in 2.5 seconds, but a pear right from the grower that’s juicy and sweet and tastes like fall. Try this recipe for a pear sour. If you can get your hands on some red pears, they add a nice taste and a pop of color to the recipe.
5) I need this Agent Carter inspired tank in my life, as soon as possible. Agent Carter might be my favorite show on air, and this quote in particular really resonated with me. In fact, I have plans one day to meet Hayley Atwell and ask her to write out the phrase in her handwriting and then get it as a tattoo. That’s not too creepy-stalkerish, right? Jordan Dene’s webstore is more than worth poking around as well, she’s got lots of geeky-quote inspired apparel, from Game of Thrones to the X-Files.