Five things I encountered today that were interesting, educational, beautiful, edifying or that I otherwise found to be…well, good. None of these are promotions and I do not receive any benefit from sharing them. I just like them.
1) The fact that we still celebrate Columbus Day is Not Good. Columbus wasn’t just your average racist, brutal, totalitarian European conquerer. He was all that with an extra side of nasty. But what is good is that more and more people and places are rejecting Columbus in favor of celebrating the indigenous peoples of the Americas, past and present. Talk you to your community and leaders and officials about making a change in how we celebrate this day.
2) These apple roses look delicious, a sure to impress dessert for any fall potluck. I saw a recipe for a whole pie made of these I’ve been threatening to try, but this looks like a more manageable recipe to start with. I might make these today. Since I’m off for Indigenous Peoples Day.
3) It’s still a little warm here, but there’s finally a crispness in the air and some color on the mountains. If you can’t get out, check out this slideshow from National Geographic of autumn in the United States of America.
4) Star Wars sandcastles! Japan is celebrating The Force Awakens with some really amazing themed sandcastles. The site is in Japanese but the pictures are the important thing!
5) Today’s xkcd comic, seasonally appropriate.