Five things I encountered today that were interesting, educational, beautiful, edifying or that I otherwise found to be…well, good. None of these are promotions and I do not receive any benefit from sharing them. I just like them.
1) Today is National Coming Out Day! Coming out isn’t easy. And not all coming out stories are happy ones, although I’m hearing more and more positive coming out stories these days and I think that trend will only increase. But being true to yourself is always a good thing. R U Coming Out has some great stories as well as support for those who are still figuring out how and when to come out.
2) My current podcast addiction is Stuff You Missed in History Class. It’s a (usually) half hour podcast about lesser known historical events or figures that’s always entertaining and informative. It’s just the right length for me to listen to as I get ready in the morning and I feel like I’m actually engaging my brain while I walk the dog. My favorite episodes so far are the ones about the Night Witches, the hope diamond, and the man who marketed sea monkeys. There’s tons of episodes so hopefully I won’t run out any time soon. Check it out!
3) The trailer for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is really great. I read the book and it was enjoyable as a novelty and had some really funny parts, but was a little lazy and some of the zombie violence felt shoehorned in. This is one of those cases where I think the movie might do a better job and the trailer is encouraging. Plus, Matt Smith!
4) Do you like your chocolate to be as black as the hearts of the Republican presidential candidates? As bitter as Al Gore after the 2000 election? Then the Alter Eco Blackout chocolate bar is for you. I love this chocolate. It’s deep, fruity, and does lovely things to my brain. I struggle with controlling my depression through a combination of prescription medication, natural supplements, and lifestyle changes like diet and exercise, and even one square of this chocolate gives me a legit mood boost that lasts for hours.
5) A new book on the costumes of Star Trek over the last fifty years comes out on Tuesday. Star Trek Costumes: Five Decades of Fashion from the Final Frontier comes out on Tuesday and it looks gorgeous. Whether you find Star Trek costumes ridiculous or fabulous or a mix of both, you have to agree that they went where no one had gone before and hugely influenced fashions in sci-fi shows for years to come.