Five things I encountered today that were interesting, educational, beautiful, edifying or that I otherwise found to be…well, good. None of these are promotions and I do not receive any benefit from sharing them. I just like them.
1) The new illustrated edition of Harry Potter and Sorcerer’s Stone is out! The images are breathtaking. The rest of the series is set to follow. I’m not sure how I’m going to justify buying another complete set of Harry Potter novels to my budget, but I think I’m going to have to try.
2) A T-Rex working out. Hey, having tiny, vestigial arms just means you have to work that much harder to stay in top carnivore form. How did you think T-Rex got such shapely, powerful legs if not by doing barrel rolls?
3) This recipe for home-made pork-belly banh mi. I’ve made this several times. It is labor intense and you do have to plan ahead, but it’s completely worth it when the pork belly gets all melty and contrasts with the sharpness of the pickles and the spicy chipotle mayo. Not sure what to do with your weekend? Make this recipe, then nap.
4) The New York Times has a profile of Nicki Minaj. I’m not super into rap, but I do like some of her songs and I’ve always admired her for being who she is in a very tough, very male dominated industry. Honestly, I’m hesitant to put this on the “good things” list because they did a really shitty and offensive job of interviewing her, but she really put the reporter in their place and the way she refuses to be pushed around makes me like her even more. Worth a read, though it may make you angry.
5) Who’s watching Con Man? Alan Tudyk’s crowdfunded webseries about life on the fan convention circuit starring himself, Felicia Day, and Sean Astin (plus guest stars out the wazoo) has seven episodes up on Vimeo as of yesterday. I was lucky enough to catch a sneak peek at Salt Lake Comic Con last month and everything I saw was hilarious. I plan to catch up on all the episodes over the weekend. Possibly while making a pork banh-mi sandwich.